Player Training Requirement
The 2017 SafeSport Act requires all 18-year-old and older players, on a team with minors (17 years of age or younger), to complete the SafeSport Trained Core training. This training is accessible through the SafeSport Platform.
About the Requirement
Players are required to complete the training to continue participating and competing in NORTH TEXAS SOCCER-sanctioned activities after turning 18 years old. Per SafeSport’s Minor Athlete Abuse Prevention Policies (MAAPP), 17-year-old players seeking to complete the training in advance of their 18th birthday, and limiting the disruption to their participation, may only access the training after submitting a signed parental consent form to North Texas Soccer. Additionally, the MAAPP does not permit a grace period for players that turn 18 years old.
Implementing the Requirement through the NORTH TEXAS SOCCER Registration System
Upon completion of the training through the SafeSport platform, 18 and up players must upload the certificate for verification by North Texas Soccer.
17 and under will upload on their 18th birthday when the upload option appears for them in GotSport on that date.
Players that do not have a SafeSport certificate verified by North Texas Soccer one day after their 18th birthday will be unapproved within the registration system, prohibited from printing a player pass, and will not appear on the Official State Roster.
To be clear, this training does not need to be completed by individuals under the age of 18.
NORTH TEXAS SOCCER Registrar is primarily responsible for verifying the certificate within 72 hours of uploading it to the player’s profile in GotSport.
How to Access the Training
- MINOR ATHLETES 17 and Under: A parent/guardian must submit this form Authorization for Minor Participation in Abuse Prevention Training
- Once completed, they will save their certificate as a pdf and upload it on their 18th birthday when the upload option appears in GotSport on that date.
SafeSport Course Cycle
SafeSport training runs on a four-year cycle. Only one training per year needs to be completed. North Texas Soccer requires the training to be dated June 1st, 2022, or later for the 2022-2023 seasonal year. At this time below is the SafeSport schedule:
- Year One: SafeSport Trained Core Course (1.5-2 hrs)
- Year Two: SafeSport Core Refresher 1 Course (15-20 mins)
- Year Three: SafeSport Core Refresher 2 Course (15-20 mins)
- Year Four: SafeSport Core Refresher 3 Course (15-20 mins)
- Year Five: SafeSport Trained Core Course (cycle repeats)