Jump to specific question:
What is ODP?
How does ODP work?
How are players evaluated for ODP?
How are players identified or selected for the Region ID Camp?
How much do ODP Tryouts cost and what does it include?
How much does being a part of ODP cost and what does it include?
Do players have to tryout each year?
How does ODP determine a players age bracket?
When and where does ODP practice?
If you have any other questions please contact Joe Weber at email@example.com
Q: What is ODP?
A: Created by US Youth Soccer, the Olympic Development Program (ODP) is a developmental program intended to identify the top available players from each state, enhancing their performance and supplementing the training that players are getting with their full-time club teams. ODP is not intended to replace the training and games that a player gets with their club team; it is designed to act as a supplement. Selected players receive a training schedule, but not a game schedule.
Players who are selected from the Player Pool will play games in events that NTX ODP attends, such as Showcase Tournaments and Sub-Regional Competitions, where they will play against other states.
Q: How does ODP work?
A: Open tryouts are held each summer, from there State Player Pools of no more than 40 players are selected per age group. The Player Pools will train together throughout the year across 8 scheduled practices. Players are evaluated at these practices for potential selection to be part of the State Team(s) that attends different events. Players are continuously being evaluated, just because a player is selected for the State Team(s) for one event doesn’t guarantee they’ll be selected for the next event. At the end of the Spring individual players will be selected to attend the Region ID Camp in Alabama, from there these players will compete with others from around our region to be selected for the Regional Player Pool and Regional Team. The identification process continues onto the National level through different events that Regional players attend such as the Inter-Regionals in Florida, and the National Training Camp.
Q: How are players evaluated for ODP?
A: Players are selected to the state pool based on evaluations by state coaches. Evaluations are based on the following Key Player Qualities:
· Game understanding and decision making
· Optimal technical ability
· Optimal tactical ability
Q: How are players identified or selected for the Region ID Camp?
A: Players are either scouted and selected by regional coaches at sub-regional events or recommended and selected by their state coach based on the players evaluation throughout the year.
Q: How much do ODP Tryouts cost and what does it include?
A: $90, this includes the two scheduled tryout sessions and a tryout jersey. Players are expected to attend both tryout dates.
Q: How much does being a part of ODP cost and what does it include?
· $320 – Player Pool Registration (Includes 8 practices)
· $100 – Uniforms (These run on a two-year cycle and include a home kit, away kit, and training jersey; current cycle is 2019-2021)
· $100 - $120 – Standard Events (Each age group attends two events, but only selected players attend each event. From each player pool a roster(s) of players will be selected to attend each event as the State Team representative. The payment covers tournament registration fees.)
· $450 estimated – Travel Events (Occasionally some or all of our teams will attend an event that requires further travel than our standard events, for these events payment includes, lodging, meals, tournament registration, and transportation at the event for the players only. It does not include transportation to the event or parent/guardian expenses.) (There are no Travel Events scheduled for the 2020-2021 season)
· $600 – Region ID Camp (Individual selected players will be chosen to attend the Region ID Camp in Alabama each summer, this payment includes, lodging, meals, camp registration, and transportation at the event for the player. It does not include transportation to the event or parent/guardian expenses.)
Q: Do players have to tryout each year?
A: Once a player is selected to the State Player Pool from tryouts, they are part of that group for the full ODP season. Players that are selected to attend the Region ID Camp will be extended offers to rejoin the State Player Pool the following season. All other players from the Player Pool will have to try out again that summer, though will not have to pay the tryout fee.
Q: How does ODP determine a players age bracket?
A: ODP is based purely on birth year. If a player was born in 2007 then they will compete with only players born in 2007, ODP follows the calendar year, not the school year.
Q: When and where does ODP practice?
A: ODP practices are predominantly held on Sunday afternoons when fields are available, though a few practices may be held on Saturday afternoons due to field availability. All practices are held in the DFW area. Each player pool has 8 practices throughout the year broken up with 4 practices in the Fall and 4 in the Spring, with an off period during the winter.